Uniform and Equipment
In consultation with parents and students, an Academy uniform has been developed that is inexpensive, easy to care for, smart and functional. The wearing of this uniform is compulsory as it is an important element in self- presentation, self-discipline and pride in the Academy.
Parents are able to buy most items of uniform from a wide range of shops and stores. Some items, however, have to be purchased from First4Uniform. These are marked with an * (asterisk).
- Black knee length knife pleat skirt or drop pleat skirt, alternatively tailored black trousers (jeans are not acceptable attire)
- Academy embroidered blazer*
- White long sleeve blouse/shirt (blouses must have a collar which can be worn with a tie)
- Academy v-necked embroidered jumper (sleeves/sleeveless) (optional) *
- Academy tie in chapter colour*
- Black socks/tights
- Black, low heeled, leather or leather effect shoes only. No trainers, sports shoes or canvas shoes of any kind. No logos, patterns or contrasting colours are permitted. Leather effect Vans are permitted provided logos are not visible. Applies to ALL students
- Hooded sweatshirts are not part of the Academy uniform. During cold weather students should wear an appropriate dark coat or the Academy jumper
- Academy embroidered sports shirt*
- Academy rugby/football shirt*
- Black shorts
- Black Academy tracksuit bottoms*
- Black sports socks
- Trainers or plimsolls
- Rain jacket
- Football boots
- Shin pads
Dance students may wear, as an alternative to the PE/games kit, following items:
- Black performing arts T-shirt or plain black T-shirt
- Black tracksuit bottoms, black shorts or black leggings
In order to take part in all aspects of lessons, we ask that all students arrive at the Academy with the following equipment daily. Students are responsible for their own equipment and it is important that they do not assume they can share or borrow equipment. Students should have with them each day:
- a strong waterproof bag
- a pencil case
- a black pen and a spare pen or spare cartridges if using a fountain pen
- a green pen
- a whiteboard pen
- two pencils
- a pencil sharpener
- a 30cm ruler
- a rubber
- a pair of compasses
- a scientific calculator (Casio FX-83GTX is our recommendation)
- a protractor
- a set of coloured pencils/pens
- a glue stick
- a pair of scissors
In addition students will need to make sure that they always have all the books they need for that day, as well as specific equipment such as PE/Dance kit or cooking ingredients, so packing their school bag the night before is a really good routine to be in.
Hair colour, facial piercings, earrings and rings
Hair should be of a natural colour. No extreme hairstyles e.g. mohican or coloured plaits. Jewellery is not considered to be in keeping with Academy uniform. However, students are permitted to wear one pair of stud earrings (these must be gold or silver metal in colour only) and a watch. Ear stretchers are not permitted. No other earrings are permitted. No facial or visible body piercings will be allowed. If students wish to have a piercing then it needs to be done at the start of the summer holiday, this will ensure that they are able to remove any piercing during the time they are in the Academy. Headbands should be all black or all white only.
Female students at the Academy have the option of wearing a skirt with their uniform. It states in the Academy dress code that these skirts MUST be plain black and knee length. This means that they should sit on the knee or below. Female students should choose either the knife pleat or drop pleat skirt, which should be purchased from First4Uniform. Skirts made from stretchy fabric are not appropriate.
Make-up should be kept to a minimum and natural looking. No nail varnish should be worn. No false eyelashes or false nails permitted. These can only be applied during the holidays and must be removed on returning to school.
Sixth form dress code
We don’t have a uniform in sixth form and we try to be as flexible as we can.
The dress code is “look smart, sensible choices” so you need to think about what you choose to wear and whether it would be suitable in the professional work place. It gives you great training for the future, whether that is for work now or for later in life.